Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Why be boring?

I almost put a really gross title for this post, but showed some restraint...you can all thank me later. I just have to tell you, Hanny, Eric can't get your Chicken Parmesan out of his head. He said he had trouble going to sleep Sunday night. Not because it did him wrong, but it did him right. He has mentioned many times how delicious it was...not only the chicken, but the marinara sauce as well. He has made a suggestion that I believe is quite good. For future Sunday dinner polls, how about adding 1, 2, 3, or 4 new menu items to try so we can continue to incorporate new dishes into our rotation. He is not a creature of habit like some of the rest of us, so to make some of the more finicky eaters happy, maybe we should try this...what do all of you think of that? Yes, Mom, your opinion matters very much...please share your ideas. Sharing is not (optional).


Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Crispy , seasoned chicken breast, a robust tomato sauce
and two kinds of cheese make this Italian classic simply irresistible

1/4 c. olive oil or vegetable oil
1 c. chopped onions
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
1/3 c. Progresso Italian style dry bread crumbs
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese

1. In 3 qt saucepan, heat 2 T. of the oil over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic in oil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally.
2. Between sheets of waxed paper, flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness. In shallow dish, mix bread crumbs and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken into egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
3. In 12 inch skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook chicken in oil 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in center. Pour tomato sauce around chicken in skillet. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over chicken. Cover and heat until melted. Sprinkle with 2 T. Parmesan cheese just before serving.







4 comments:

Alisa said...

I'm glad he enjoyed it. It was pretty dee-lish wasn't it? I think we ABSOLUTELY should try some new recipes. It's a risk because we have a comfort zone. Maybe we should all try a new recipe when we cook dinner for our family and if we find something wonderful then we can cook it for Sunday dinner... just a thought. Or we can throw caution to the wind and just try it out on Sunday.

What was the gross title you were gonna use? I'm curious.

Thanks for coming to Gage's game. He thought that was pretty cool that you got to see him shine!

Stacy said...

Yeah, as soon as I make a new dish for dinner I will let you know... :)

I think its a good idea too.

Justin said...

Can we have bread with it? We need to have bread with it.

Alisa said...

I think Justin should be in charge of bread.